Thursday, July 19, 2007

Breathing Space

Graduate summer classes done. What a giant pain in the ass. Although not as much of a pain in the ass as driving to Columbia once a week in the fall. Oy.

Attending internship this week, which is a giant pain in the ass AND a monu-fucking-mental waste of time. It's run by the cohort one year ahead of us and it's a complete mess. But at least when we're running it next year, we'll have witnessed a good example of what NOT to do. Christ, those people couldn't run a group of lemmings off a cliff.

I had an interview on Monday at High School #1 that went okay. I haven't decided if I like them. I did decide (before about 2 pm today) that if they offered me the job, I'd take it, but that if they hired someone else, that would be fine, too. I also got a call from High School #2 for an interview that I wound up turning down because the school is geographically undesirable.

Although that left me with only the Middle School #1 interview next week, and that's, well....middle school. Yuck.

Then I got a call this afternoon from High School #3 and talked to the English Dept. head. I had hunted down her name and email earlier in the week when I saw a job posting at HS3 (no contact name given) and sent her an email with my resume, qualifications, and references attached. When she called today, she said she had already talked to the English Department Head at Crime Wave High, who gave me a glowing recommendation. Never a bad thing to walk into an interview when the interviewer already has a positive impression of you. And I'd LOVE to work there (commute is 10-15 minutes, building is new-ish and NOT filled to capacity, reasonable suspension/attendance/graduation/dropout rates). She seemed psyched that I hadn't already been hired out from under her. Interview is at 7:15 tomorrow morning.

High School #4 called, too, so I scheduled them for 9:15, although they border on geographically undesirable and the person I spoke with on the phone didn't have a clear idea of what the position was.

With luck, by this time next week, I'll have some idea what and where I'll be teaching next month. Cross your fingers.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home