Tuesday, May 22, 2007

English Major...check

Before starting this whole "Instant English Teacher" program, the nice folks told me that I had to take a few more credits of English to qualify (since it wasn't my major). Nine credits, to be exact.

Got my grade today from my horrifyingly hideous Brit Lit II class...A. Three down.

Took the American Lit. CLEP test this afternoon...good enough to pass. Six more in the bank.

Done with content courses.

Nine graduate credits standing between me and certification. Yes, it's only temporary certification (a "Resident Teacher Certificate" is what they call it), but it's still certification. And with the completion of my English major, I'm also now considered Highly Qualified according to No Child Left Behind.

I don't feel any more qualified than I did six months ago.

6 Comments:

Blogger J. D. T. Saul said...

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

5/22/2007 9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was hideous, the teacher or the syllabus?

Whatcha have to read?

5/23/2007 11:46 AM  
Blogger ilse said...

JDT: THX

bdr: Both. More than half of the assignments didn't get graded until after the class was over, and she was an idiot.

The major readings were Great Expectations, Pride and Prejudice, Heart of Darkness, and a disproportionate amount of Romantic poetry. The only things I found remotely interesting were Wollstonecraft ("A Vindication of the Rights of Women"), Woolf ("A Room of One's Own"), and the modernist poets (Eliot in particular, but that's a life-long love).

Although I should note that, as per my usual habit, I didn't actually READ the longer novels.

This particular life-long habit bit me in the ass when it came to taking a CLEP test on the content of books I was supposed to have read by now.

5/23/2007 4:56 PM  
Blogger Kimmah said...

good for you! I wish I'd known about CLEP sooner--I didn't discover it until I was at the tail end of my second bachelor's degree and was told that I MUST take American History. Being mega pregnant, I was horrified at spending a summer taking history, even though I enjoy the subject.

Frankly, there wasn't one thing that I learned in a college lit class that I actually use while teaching day to day. I'm sure I use some of the concepts or theories or broad ideas, but I can't even think of one. I use a ton of what I learned in theater classes, though.

Congrats and good luck finishing up. Highly qualified, welcome to the club--Bush is a fucking nitwit.

5/25/2007 1:21 AM  
Blogger Sasha said...

You're getting me closer to taking this teaching thing seriously. Gratz! Sorry about that reading, especially the Dickens.

5/28/2007 8:16 AM  
Blogger ilse said...

Next step: passing the Praxis tests. I took and passed (easily) the basic 3R Praxis (Reading, Writing, 'Rithmatic). Then...well, I'll put this bit of brag in the comments, so my ego looks slightly less inflated.

On the PRAXIS II English Language, Literature, and Composition test -- to determine whether or not the potential English teacher possesses enough knowledge of the subject matter to teach it -- I scored a 199/200. Woot!

5/30/2007 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home