Saturday, January 27, 2007

So much for my vacation

My three weeks of leisure time evaporated when I got a call on Tuesday, asking me to come in Thursday for an interview. There was a long-term sub position available, and it turns out that The Program at the University recommended me, along with two other applicants.

I spent part of Wednesday doing research. Looked at the school's website, read about the 9th grade curriculum, got a feel for what the school is like (huge, and very diverse). Interview was at 11 a.m. on Thursday.

Interviewed with the English department head and one of the other English teachers. They asked me all kinds of questions, from "How would you go about teaching writing? What sort of pedagogy would you use?" to "What would you do with a student who didn't want to read?"

When the interview was over, they both said, "Y'know, we can't hire you right now, because we have two other interviews. But even if we wind up NOT hiring you, please, do The Program. We think you have excellent instincts and you'd make a great teacher." I left feeling like I had the job sewn up. They said they'd call that evening, since they wanted someone to start Monday.

I waited and waited and waited. No call. By the time I got up the next morning, I figured there was no way they were still considering me or they'd have called already. Zander and I decided to go to a movie. Before we left, we got The Call: a last-minute candidate had come up that they had to interview, which is why they hadn't called until now. But I was "far and away the leading candidate" (yay!) and they offered me the job.

The catch? I wasn't scheduled for my sub orientation or fingerprinting or background check or ID card for another week. So the principal pulled some strings with the HR department, and they're getting me in at 7:30 Monday morning. I'll get the fastest orientation EVER, and then head to my school for work. My school! For work!

Instead of going to the movie, Zander took me to my school (my school!), where I got to see the English department office, meet some other faculty (I'm FACULTY!), see my room (MY ROOM!), get my keys, and meet one of my classes (I fell deeply in love with them...although you, redhead in the first row, are quickly going to meet my wrath if you don't turn your punk ass around so I'm not looking at the back of your head).

I'm a teacher!

Is it Monday yet?

(What's the over/under on when that turns into "How long until June?")

10 Comments:

Blogger Whispers said...

Yay! Great news!

That should help compensate for the upcoming Super Bowl.

1/27/2007 8:44 PM  
Blogger Buggy said...

Don't worry about June, you get to long for "spring break" first.

Yay!
Even better than 'Your School' and 'Your Room', YOUR Students!
Lucky kids!

1/28/2007 2:38 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

Do you have a RED PEN yet for grading papers? Congratulations!

1/28/2007 9:23 PM  
Blogger Kimmah said...

have fun today!

1/29/2007 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How was the day?

The over/under is 4 weeks.

I will take DA Bears and 7 points over Peyton Place and the Baltimore Colts. You want to put a shilling on that, Dr. Death?

1/29/2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger ilse said...

My honors class was fun. The unleveled class (read: the unwashed masses who seriously don't give a shit as to whether or not they pass) was more of a challenge.

The classes have been running on duct tape and chicken wire all year, and there's a giant administrative/organizational mess to clean up.

My feet hurt.

I think I'll really like this once I get my sea-legs.

1/29/2007 9:14 PM  
Blogger Kimmah said...

the foot thing will get better in about a week. it happens to me every year at the beginning of school.

1/29/2007 10:26 PM  
Blogger gothmog said...

congrats on surviving your first day! Pat yourself on the back and get a foot-spa. Or make Zander massage them.

I predict the over/under will be much sooner with the unwashed masses than for the others. When kids want to learn, it's fun to be a teacher. We get paid for having to deal with those who don't.

1/30/2007 8:54 AM  
Blogger ilse said...

The Great Unwashed told me today, "Why couldn't they put it in the book like you do? When YOU say it, it makes SENSE. And it's not so boring." And they participated a little bit, and were a little quieter.

I'm calling that a win :)

1/30/2007 4:18 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

"Why couldn't they put it in the book like you do? When YOU say it, it makes SENSE. And it's not so boring."

Easy answer. It's because you're a great teacher. Pretty cool that even "unwashed" 9th graders can see that.

1/30/2007 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home