Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Home Stretch

Last even day was yesterday, last odd day is today (I still haven't gotten used to the sign in the front office that announces "Today is: odd"...it gives me gigglepants every time). Tomorrow is a review day, and then the little darlings start exams.

Yesterday, when one of my students realized that it was our last class together, she cried and hugged me. I was really quite unprepared for that.

My first grad classes were also last night. The first runs from 4:15 to 6:40, the second runs from 6:50 to 9:15. One of the first assignments we have to complete is to prepare three lesson plans. Uhm...I think I got that, more or less. I mean, my lesson plans tend to be a series of 5-6 vague bullet points, just so I can remember what we're doing and in what order, but I generally don't make a lot of specific notes or directions. I know what I want to discuss and where I want the discussion to go. They prolly want more than that.

No word yet on where I'm going to be for the fall. Haven't even gotten any calls, which I found discouraging until I talked to some of my fellow grad slaves and discovered that they haven't gotten any, either.

Must.Go.Grade.Papers.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger gothmog said...

You don't want to hear this, but the shit they teach you in how to be a proper edumacator ain't exactly what you might call useful. I remember making those lesson plans in excruciating detail, only to discard them for my 5-6 vague bullet points when I got into a real classroom. Do what ya gotta do, but trust your instincts.

Oh, and? we might have an opening here next fall. Too far to commute?

6/07/2007 9:04 PM  
Blogger ilse said...

Yeah. I mean, I can see how some of the stuff we're doing in our classes will be applicable to my classroom in the fall, but the majority of it is so...academic.

I'm supposed to turn in a "my philosophy of teaching" paper on Tuesday. They sure know how to suck the life out of a subject.

6/08/2007 7:46 AM  
Blogger Kimmah said...

oh, yeah. waaaaay more than a few bullet points. i had to turn in an 'official' lesson plan this year for evaluations and i think the fucker ran 4 pages long. the unit plan? was about 15 and that was without individual lesson plans.

6/08/2007 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What they said. More bullets, less points.

And yes, sucking the life out of the subject is a major part of their master plan.

Step 3: Profit!

Oooo! The word is nblng!

6/11/2007 1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home