Monday, June 20, 2005

Rock the Vote, Don't Tip the Vote Over

There was a primary in the state -- er, Commonwealth -- of Virginia (State Motto: "Virginia is for lovers of heterosexual missionary monogamy") last week. I found this out while listening to the local news/weather/traffic radio station on my way home, the day of the primary. I had wondered about all the signs everywhere.

Luckily, I had been on my way home before I picked up the kids from daycare, because UPS refuses to leave packages at the door. I must pick them up at the apartment office, the open hours of which almost exactly coincide with the hours I am not home. So I pass the polling place on my way back out and stop in to exercise my right and privilege as a citizen.

After giving my name, address, and presenting them with my driver's license, the blue-haired biddy volunteers behind the table ask me which primary I'm voting in, and hold up a small, light blue envelope that says "Democrat" and a small, light peach envelope that says "Republican".

Now, politically speaking, I am a liberal, and I vote the person, not the ticket. However, I find that 99.99% of the time, that person will be the Democrat running. Chances are, I think to myself, no matter WHICH Democrats win the nominations, I'm voting for them. So I don't know that I care to vote in their primary. However, what WOULD matter to me is which Republicans wind up the nominated candidates. And considering that only 4-5% of the electorate is turning out for the primary....why not attempt to skew the numbers?

"Republican," I said, my voice squeaking. The biddies made a note in their little book, reassured me that my choice was in no way binding for the general election, and I made my way to the electronic touch screen.

Those things creep me out. How many people have touched this exact same spot as I'm touching, and haven't washed their hands? So I pull a tissue out of my purse and use it to cover the finger I'm touching the screen with. The "I Voted" Sticker Guy was looking at me like I had three heads.

So I voted for the worst possible potential candidates for every office, got my sticker, and left. I pulled my Purell out of the glove box and used it on my hands. I wanted to shower in it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

LOL! This is common practice, and something I just found out about a couple of years ago. I live in a suburban, very republican county, and I was shocked that so many voters did the same thing you did!

The little blue hairs thought it was pretty funny too.

6/21/2005 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have often thought of doing this but I never have. Ideally--I would like to vote in both primaries because I usually have strong opinions about which Dem I want to see get the nod.

Plus I live in very small town & usually know the LWV poll person--so word of my perfidy would spread like wildfire.

But good for you!

--Swami

6/21/2005 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! How were you able to manage to squeak out the word "Republican" with a straight face though?

6/21/2005 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home